Selecting a suitable paintball gun can be a difficult task, especially for any new ballers out there. This is understandable given the overwhelming quantity of options available for any particular type of paintball gun. It doesn’t help that all of them claim to be the best either. If you are limited by your budget and are looking for the most value out of your investment you will want to be sure you are able to find the best paintball gun you can find!
Not to worry, though. With this review, we are going to discuss the best paintball guns of 2016 and hope to make process of selecting a suitable gun much clearer and easier. We have researched extensively in the market and hand-picked the below guns. (PS if you are a beginner, it may be good to take a look at our review of the best paintball guns for beginners, here!)
Best Paintball Guns
The Planet Eclipse Etha is a premium paintball gun. It is, to some degree, like the Planet Eclipse Geo marker, yet its configuration and abilities are one of a kind. In the event that you've seen or utilized Planet Eclipse's E-tek marker, you'll see that the Etha is genuinely comparable. Let’s take a look at the product details:
- The gun has a simple design and due to the integration of a spring mechanism it boasts an automatic bolt back feature. It has an ergonomic layout and a durable plastic + aluminum exterior.
- The marker has a flexible SL3 regulator, which will function properly irrespective of the tank pressure.
- The two-piece barrel is able to fire in a variety of modes such as PSP and semi. The fire has minimum kickback and the gun fires accurately and efficiently, even if you fire multiple shots quickly.
- The gun is lightweight (2 lbs.) and 14.5 inches long.
- Upgrades include a new feed neck, barrel, ASA and trigger. LED/OLED lights can also be installed.
- Product requires minimum maintenance. Basic lubing and swabbing will keep the gun in top notch condition.
- The gun is lightweight (2 lbs.) and 14.5 inches long.
- Concern: The trigger has a spring instead of magnets, which has faced criticism by ballers used to the latter system.
Planet Eclipse it a top brand and it is no surprise that the Eclipse Etha is one of its brilliant products, for ballers of all levels.
Spyder is a renowned military styled paintball marker producer and with the MR100 it continues its tradition of having a quality product at a reasonable price.
While it is not a great choice for professionals, essentially in light of the fact that there are better options, it is adequate as a first pick for amateurs trying a military marker.
- MR100 has an excellent anodized aluminum body, integrated with a patent pending EKO valve system.
- It can fire efficiently, with up to 1500 shots using one twenty ounce CO2 tank. Velocity can easily be varied due to the adjuster at the back which can come in handy if you need to pump out some heavy CO2.
- It comes with an adjustable stock. Moreover, the picatinny rail mount mechanism allows you to upgrade and personalize your marker.
- The feed neck can be clamped and it easily attaches to the hopper.
- The marker requires low and basic maintenance.
- It is made from robust polymer.
- Concern: It uses a blowback mechanism which is not durable due to the regular breakage of solenoids.
- Concern: The stock barrel is not very accurate and may require replacement. However, there are many after market barrels available.
The ER2 is a great product for beginner ballers and has a very low price tag, making it a sensible and respectable choice.
The gun is a great choice for first timers and also makes up as a good back up / target practice option. It is a cheap gun and shoots like a cheap gun. But it is for sure a fun gun to shoot.
- The ER2 comes with a very convenient pumping handle. The pumping action is easy and does not waste a lot of time. The CO2 in the cartridge is sufficient for a round of about 30 paint balls, before all the pressure is lost.
- The gun can shoot as far as 25 yards, with precision. Loading tubes can be cumbersome and may require some patience.
- There is an anti-chop mechanism, which allows users to shoot seamlessly.
- Other mechanisms include a ball stop, an anti double pump, safety locks, etc.
- The box includes a marker, paintball pods, balls and air which is a great package for the price point.
- Concern: Users reported that the gun is slow to fire and loses air quickly, especially as it gets older.
- Concern: Durability is a doubt with this model.
The Blitz 3 is the upgrade to the Blitz series by Azodin and is probably their best model yet.
Overall, with its moderate price tag and efficiently performing features, the Blitz 3 is a great option to get the most value from your investment, especially for beginners and intermediate level ballers.
- The gun has a streamline body and comes in five different colors to pick from.
- It is very lightweight and easy to carry during battles.
- It is super durable. In fact, the gun can endure multiple falls without any notable damage.
- The marker is precise and better than any Blitz model before it. The trigger is very sensitive and the gun can shoot rapidly.
- It comes with an integrated feather regulator and screw-lock feed neck. This allows it to be involved in aggressive balling.
- The gun is both CO2 and HPA compatible.
- Concern: There may be shipping issues depending on your state. You should double check with the company regarding the policy for your respective state.
- Concern: There are reported issues over the performance of the trigger adjustment screws.
Tippmann is a champion in the group of paintball marker manufacturers. The TPX Pistol is a deluxe model, great for all levels of ballers to be a solo marker or a backup option while on the field.
Despite the high price, the product has a very high standard and is complemented with a two year warranty by the company, which makes it a great pick.
- The TPX has been designed to model military types of guns and features a metallic frame, which gives it a very real weapon like feeling.
- The body is light weight and compact in nature, making it very useful as an extra carry-on gun.
- There is an under barrel Picatinny rail, which lets you attach add-ons and upgrades.
- CO2 is easy to load and a clear ammo case shows when you need reloading. The CO2 is easily punctured by the super-sensitive trigger.
- The firing is quick and the marker is very accurate. There are three 7 ball magazines included in the package and in general, the magazine can be changed pretty quickly.
- The gun uses an efficient spool system, which maintains the air in the system and controls ventilation for added reliability.
- Concern: The holster has been reported to be of a lower quality compared to the gun and the magazine. It falls apart rather easily, especially as the gun gets older.
Azodin has a respectable position in the paintball gun market. Its Kaos Semi Auto comes at a moderate price range and has generally fared well amongst players.
Overall, the Kaos is a good product for the intermediate ballers and is a solid investment before indulging in premium models.
- The gun comes with several top technologies usually found in elite models which is great for a mid level gun.
- It has a majorly aluminum based body, which makes the gun lightweight and easy to maneuver. The body is generally very robust and available in gold / silver colors.
- It is compatible with both CO2 and HPA.
- The regulator works efficiently and allows operation even during low pressure.
- The plastic composite bolt is adjustable, allowing the velocity to be varied.
- The double trigger is sturdy and sensitive, with a low recoil upon firing. The feed neck can be clamped and can hold the load of the balls and hopper without any issues.
- Concern: The gun can be slightly noisier compared to similar alternatives.
- Concern: The feed neck may not connect properly with all types of hoppers.
Given Tippmann’s solid reputation, it is no surprise that the Gryphon marker is a successful product in the entry level market.
All in all, with the Tippmann Gryphon, there is no requirement for an amateur or intermediate player to purchase a costly weapon to have a quality paintballing experience.
- The Gryphon is an aesthetically pleasing gun, with a simple carbon fiber body. It is light weight and has no distracting gimmicks. Pretty straight forward gun.
- The trigger is dual fingered and can be readily pressed to shoot up to eight balls per second. The kickback may be noticeable for any beginner ballers.
- The gun can handle different paintballs without breaking and will shoot them all at a generally consistent speed, however it may fluctuate during rapid firing.
- The gun is very durable and needs little maintenance. Basic oiling and swiping the exterior is all you need to do.
- The gun is compatible with barrel upgrades and mods, which can improve its accuracy as well as personalize its design.
- Concern: Lack of solenoid means that gun will fire slowly.
- Concern: There is no possibility of internal modifications since the disassembly is very complicated, even for professional ballers.
The Dye Proto Rail is aesthetically appealing with its sharp lines and smooth curves which isn’t what you will usually find in this price range. The sleek look comes with quality and durability and is packed with features.
The Proto Rail is excellent for beginners to intermediate paintballers. While not the best for pros, casual players or newbies will definitely enjoy using this.
- The body is composed of high quality durable Aluminum. The hourglass Ultralite Ergonomic Frame gives the user comfort and total control over the gun.
- Special Color Coded O-rings make for quick identification and easy maintenance of the marker.
- The Patent Pending Eye Pipe ensures problem-free performance by preventing dirt, debris and chipped paint from accumulating. Additionally, it banishes the need for external eye plates and chances of striped mounting screws.
- The Eye Pipe System eradicates any double feeding and miss feeds that could occur.
- The greatly improved design of the Hyper3TM in-line regulator is diminutive, sleeker and more consistent for faster reactions.
- The small size accommodates Sticky Grips composed of soft rubber.
- There are multiple Firing Modes
- The box comes with extra accessories including a dye slick lubricant, a 9V alkaline battery and a spare set of Allen keys.
- Concern: Not the best for air usage
Tippman, the parent company that produces US Army Paintball Markers, is recognized worldwide for their military stylized products, including paintball markers. Currently, their US Army paintball markers line is the most famous on the market for military replicas. One of the top products from this range is the US Army Project Salvo Paintball Marker Gun 3Skull Close Quarters Set.
- This paintball gun features an 11-inch high performing ported Quick Thread barrel with 98 threads.
- AR style foldable and collapsible stock.
- Comes with a red laser light sight for precision.
- The vertical fore grip on this item gives a steady and stable platform for shooting.
- You can add any accessory that you want on the rails and the magazine doubles up as a storage area for tools.
- It is compatible with the Cyclone Feed Upgrade Kit and the Alpha Black Egrip Kit.
- For a very small price, you can buy the Mega Kit that comes with a lot of tools and accessories.
Fans of Call of Duty and Military weapons will love the US Army Salvo Marker, which looks and performs almost like a real military gun. To fully equip yourself to beat the competition, opt for the US Army Project Salvo Paintball Marker 3Skull Mega Set.
Currently in its 5th generation, the Planet Eclipse ETEK-5 range remains firm with its principles of reliability and durability. The finest materials are utilized to create a product that will give a fantastic performance and a variety of features that will justify its above average price.
The ETEK 5 is another successful product by Planet Eclipse which it owes to the unique combination of advanced and durable components.
- Whether you are running or trying to snap shoot, the ETEK5 aims precisely and naturally.
- The inner workings of the gun now come with 2-stage acceleration which is done using Zick3 technology.
- The bolt and the ball are provided a noticeable but gentle push or acceleration which gradually builds up in the 2nd stage, resulting in extremely fast speeds of shooting.
- The overall weight is 2.2 pounds which includes the battery, the barrel and the Feed Tube.
- Operates on significantly lower pressures as compared to the predecessor models. The soft-tip Cure5 bolt and the high-flow valve come together with the big valve chamber to give a LPR pressure output of 85PSI and an approximate 150 PSI of HPR pressure.
- Performs remarkably silently and isn’t rough with the paint inside or outside the barrel.
- Concern: Frequent paint splatters will result in regular cleaning.
JT is a brand of products that caters to the category of advocates of the sport. Through their products, beginners can get into the sport and their specialty is improving shooting and aim accuracy skills.
The JT semi-automatic is far from perfect but for its inexpensive price tag, it’s a good investment for beginners.
- 12g CO2 cartridge powers the gun. Requires no batteries due to being Semi-Automatic.
- .50 caliber paintballs are compatible with it.
- Comes with 30 paintballs and 1 prefilled cartridge.
- A barrel plug and cleaning stick are also included.
- Safe and environment-friendly ammo.
- Concern: Shipping has a lot of problems, with the product usually arriving broken
- Concern: The 5-6-pound trigger pull is straining for youngsters
- Concern: The added black magazine located on top of the gun is supposed to work like a scope but instead blocks the view.
When it was first released, the Azodin KP3 Kaos Pump Paintball quickly became very popular and caused an uproar in the paintballing community. The reason being that the Azodin KP3 was packed with amazing features which are usually found on higher-end guns that cost triple the price of this gun.
- The gun’s frame and body is built entirely of top-quality aluminum and makes use of a single trigger.
- The dual ball will stop any motion until the trigger is released and the dual cocking rods give a smoother pump stroke.
- The Rock Steady Regulator is supplied with Air through a macro line on/off ASA with minor resistance, giving ease of movement and increasing speeds.
- The clamping feed neck is also composed of aluminum and comes with a bolt released via a pin-pull.
- Hardly requires assemble. Ready to play straight out of the box.
- Concern: Local Laws may lead to the cancellation of some of the orders in some states or overseas areas.
Improve your paintball skills and be the envy of your friends with the Azodin KP3 Kaos Pump Paintball which not only is stunning to look at but also will give features that are on par with top of the line paintball guns
The Project Salvo is a great choice for the beginner and intermediate ballers. It comes with a moderate price tag and a Tippmann warranty for product quality.
Tippmann’s Project Salvo sniper has received a generally positive feedback from the customers. There have not been any major issues reported on any internet forums, which is appreciable.
- The gun comes unassembled in the box and for a beginner it might take time to assemble.
- The design is good, with a durable plastic body and a comfortable grip.
- It has an adjustable and foldable stock.
- The marker shoots pretty well. The bullets may not hit accurately the first few times, as you load a new gas fill but after a few shots, the pressure stabilizes and allows for precise shooting. The shooting is not rapid, however the accuracy makes up for this drawback.
- The gun comes with a long barrel. The bolt is retractable.
- The trigger is sensitive and comes with a safety. The safety is locked in the box and should be switched off.
- It is compatible with both CO2 and HPA. However, naturally the compressed air works better.
- The magazine contains all the tools required to work with the gun.
- Concern: The pressure is low and the marker will not perform in aggressive paintballing arenas.
The ATS+ comes at a bargain price and is an ideal choice for intermediate level and expert level ballers. The details of this product will summarize why it makes for a great choice.
Since the product is new in the market, the customer feedback is still not available. However, with respect to Azodin and keeping in mind its previous product performances, the ATS+ looks like a positive option.
- The gun is an upgraded version of the company’s ATS model.
- It comes with a great design which aims to instill a realistic feel in the user. The weight is on the lower end at just 4 pounds. The marker length is twenty six inches upon full assembly.
- ATS+ incorporates a three position collapsible stock and a dual position collapsible with 360° movable aluminum cover, which likewise has four polymer rails on every side of the cover to augment your customization.
- ATS+ likewise accompanies a M16 vertical handle and all the standard components from the ATS.
- Compatible with CO2 and compressed air.
- The ATS+ comes in two colors: black and camo style.
- It uses a blowback mechanism, which is bothersome for pro ballers but should not be an issue for the novices.
- It requires minimum maintenance, much like the previous ATS model.
The DLX Luxe ICE is an elite paintball marker, with an exceptional firing capacity and top notch user experience.
It is no surprise that the marker is only for the best ballers and will immediately hand over the bragging rights to its owner. If you have the budget to accommodate it, there are no second thoughts about which marker to purchase.
- The design is beautiful and makes an impression at first glance. It is sleek and streamlined.
- The product comes with a redesigned bolt, which reduces pressure and allows the marker to work efficiently with brittle paint.
- The marker can shoot at up to 1500 shots per fill. This has been helped by the improvement in air efficiency of up to 20%.
- The operation is easy and smooth. This is complemented with multiple firing modes, a navigation system and quick access to the bolt and the valve.
- Moreover, the regulator has been updated to make maintenance simple. There is minimum wear and tear and the seals / O-rings stay in top shape.
- Concern: Perhaps the only concern about the gun is its expensive price tag.
As aforementioned, Tippmann is a great brand to choose from. Its Cronus marker is an option for the beginner ballers to get the most out of their initial investment and gain the experience required to make it as a pro baller.
The Tippmann Cronus Tactical is anything but difficult to use for a newbie baller. If you are searching for a decent weapon that has a good accuracy alongside a pleasant look, you will be satisfied with this model.
- The Cronus is a well-designed gun. It comes with molded rubber grips for comfort and convenience, while the low weight makes maneuvering easy. The body, made from plastic / metal parts, is durable and well balanced.
- The Picatanny rails allow customization, with several add ons available to play with and personalize the weapon.
- It is compatible with both CO2 and HPA. However, it gives optimum performance with Ninja HPA.
- It is a semi-automatic gun, with good shooting range and precision.
- Concern: The barrel has been reported to be shorter than what most ballers like.
- Concern: The plastic body parts can be a turn off for some ballers.
How To Select A Gun From The List:
Now that we have wrapped up our list, let’s look at a few other details which will help you decide which paintball gun is the one for you and your game:
- Budget: Truth to be told, paintball is an expensive game. This does not mean that only the superrich can play it, however it does mean that the game requires investment and the level of investment determines the type and quality of paintball equipment you can get, including the gun. Now from the above list, you can estimate the vast difference in prices from the super cheap models, coming for under fifty bucks, to the super premium ones, coming in at over one thousand bucks. By estimating your budget you can shortlist the products and eliminate the more expensive markers.
- Experience and Game Type: There are different game types when it comes to paintball. Different markers will be better for different game styles. If you are going to play with your friends in the field and only occasionally be in the arena, then perhaps you require a simpler marker without any add-ons. However, if you are professional player and find yourself in a paintball fighting competition regularly, you may be better off with a top quality marker, with several features and special abilities, which are not found in a typical paintball gun.
Moreover, a game of woodball may require a paintball marker with better accuracy with a lower rate of fire. However, the same is not true for a speedball game, which needs a gun that can fire rapidly.
- Style: Paintball players are keen on making a statement. One of the best ways to do this is by developing a certain style of play and adopt a particular look when going in to the battle. You should select a gun that would probably match with your kit and is comfortable to handle for you. Different people have different tastes and styles. So you should experiment with your options before deciding on purchasing one.
- Maintenance: While this is not a very solid reason to ignore a paintball gun or select one, it is a fact that paintball markers get messy after every game and need cleaning. If you think that you are not the kind to sit back after every game and do a proper cleaning job, you may look into products which have low maintenance requirements.
These are the basic points which you should keep in mind while selecting a marker. Keep in mind that different ballers have different ways of picking a product and you should not select one solely because you saw a player using it. What may be good for another person’s style of play may not work efficiently with your style.
Best Paintball Gun For The Money:
The Azodin Blitz 3 Paintball Gun is a good choice as a budget marker, for the players with less experience. It is simple to operate and can surprise with its set of basic features, which work efficiently and deliver a solid performance.
The Best of The Best:
The DLX Luxe ICE is the ultimate paintball marker. While it comes with a very high price tag, the features and abilities it brings on board are unmatchable by other high end markers and almost nonexistent in ordinary markers.
We have tried to list down the best available products at the time of writing. With more experience and time, you will be able to learn what type of paintball guns are meant for you and which ones are just a waste of time. Try to learn by playing more and more and keeping a watch at what the pros are doing. Remember to consider the purchase of a gun as an investment which, when used and maintained properly, can last a lifetime.